Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Dying Cheesecloth

So I wanted to share with you my recent dying of cheesecloth. What is cheesecloth? Its a material that can be used in a 100 different ways. What is cheesecloth to me? Its a newborn wrap :D  I wanted to write this because I searched and searched how to dye it and nothing came about so I improvised.


1: Buy a package of cheesecloth, Its like 3 bucks at your normal grocery store such as walmart.
(Its in the craft section)
2: Buy your Dye; Rit dye is the best fabric dye out there its in the Laundry section of the grocery Side in walmart, Its about 2.95 per bottle of dye (you need one bottle per package unless you wanna dye more than one cheesecloth in the same color)
3: WASH your cheesecloth by HAND. {Get some laundry soap wash it because its pre bleached. }
4: sit in bowl pour about a cup of salt.
5: Add 2 cups of boiling water {Make sure you have gloves and something to stir it with}


It will look like this..







The longer you let it sit, the darker the color so if your going for a light color pull it out in 5-10 minutes otherwise let it sit for 30. In mycase I let the pink set for 5-10 minutes and the purple sit 30.

Once you let it sit your going to wash it in luke warm water with laundry soap again (i just washed in my sink like below)


Then your going to wring it out after washing it for 10 minutes, and either Line dry it or do what I did, Lay it out to dry.



It took over night to dry it and they look SO AHHHMAAZZZINNNG! Heres a couple images I snapped with them......






GET CREATIVE READ BELOW... (:


Left over  dye ;) So i decided to go get a shirt of my daughters  that was stained {you know how white stains pretty easily} And stuck it in the left over bowl of pink dye that I had....





 I let it sit for a hour and this was the results ;) cool huh ? 




2 comments:

  1. You rock!! I have been looking for information on dying some myself. Thanks for the post. Heather Nguyen
    www.heathernphoto.com

    ReplyDelete